What Turned You Into a Furry?

I have said this somewhere on here, but I enjoy telling my story. AS with @Marius Merganser I grew up LOVING cartoons. I mean the REAL cartoons: Looney Tunes, Shirt tales, Woody Woodpecker, He Man, Smurfs, GI Joe, Care Bears, Garfield, Duck Tales, TMNT, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, etc I can go on and on. Even back then I pretended to be an animal and wanted to play as an animal but everyone thought I was weird.

One day, almost 20 years ago, when I finally had internet (yes, there were days before internet!) I stumbled upon this RP forum and chose a magical female unicorn. Although I had fun with her, I always had this idea of a bunny in the back of my head. One day I decided to go with it, and now almost 15 years later I am Sarah the Horny Bunny.

There's something about pretending to be an animal that is so liberating. Folktales already used their observed traits to express certain things :3 (I talked with @Spilo about Reynard the trickster Fox recently. Being Furry goes back far!)

In general I think every animal has a unique soul and character that they unbashfully show it. They don't lie like people do. You always know where you stand with them.

What turned you guys into furries? What sparked the interest, what solidified it?
Nothing turned me into a furry. I was always a furry. When I was 8 y/o, Mother wanted to make for me a "space man" Halloween costume. I insisted I wasn't going out like that, and I'd prefer going as a flying fox (my fursona at that time, though I hadn't heard that term. I had a succession of fursonas while growing up). Big scream fests. Finally, Father settled the argument. Since Mother was the artistic type, Father pointed out that a flying fox outfit would be just as, if not more, creative. So I got my flying fox costume.

As for learning about Furdom, that was 31 October, 2003 -- the night the infamous "Fur and Loathing" episode of CSI was broadcast for the first time. By the time it was half over, I was going: "Let this be true, let this be true..." After the episode, I did some on-line searching, and -- sure enough -- it was for real. Also found out that I was living right in the middle of a furry hot-spot, found a furry forum, and within a couple of days, attended my first furmeet.

As Paul Harvey used to say: "And now you know the rest of the story".

Always had a fascination for furry characters in various media since I was a child in the 1950s continuing for decades when I discovered furry specific comics in the early Eighties. Many had editorial and letters pages pointing to a growing organized fandom leading me to a serious indulgence especially with the new technology of online socialization (Internet was still years away). I took the final plunge when I accidentally created a fursona years after getting the furry bug.

• Love
Reactions: Bunny Lvr
for me an early influence was the His Dark Material trilogy (still among my favourite books). Most of it is set in a fantasy world where everybody had a daemon, a sentient animal companion that takes various shapes to represent your personality. Basically mandatory fursonas.

Several years later, when I was 17 or 18, I was reading a lot of Terry Pratchett. Many of his Discworld books feature werewolves, and another series has an anthro race. I had always disliked the usual depiction of werewolves as lunatic monsters. Why would being able to transform automatically make you crazy? Pratchett's werewolves were nothing like that, they were just people. That struck a chord with me.

The third step was soon after that when I started reading the Freefall webcomic. The main character is an uplifted anthro. After reading the comic I lurked on its forum for a while and I think that's where I learned of the furry fandom. It's also where I discovered furry art. After that there was no turning back, and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread